Friday, August 13, 2004

Slap me!

OK, looks like I should slap myself silly when I was talking about national pride and Chinese women soccer: they lost to Germany 0:8 in the Olympics. Still, I think they are a better deal than Chinese men (if they indeed can even cell themselves “men”) soccer; at least they are IN the Olympics. Getting foreign coach didn’t work (I even managed to get a autography from that first ever foreign coach, a German dude whose name I can’t remember, in Guangzhou long long time ago), professionalize the league didn’t work, and paying player ludicrous amount of money DEFINITELY didn’t work. In my theory, most Chinese men are simply not “man” enough to play contact sports. I will be the first one to admit it (I truly suck at soccer, by the way), but I don’t get paid handsome money to show I should play like a man on the field. Major philosophical overhaul will be needed for Chinese soccer. First of all, you’ve got to teach them that they are really man, so… play like one! Also, start feeding them more protein products (is it me, or they look awfully skinny compared to the other team?), so a gentle bump or push won’t blow them away. Lastly, let the fans decide whether they should pay for the game after the games concluded. They might be poor because of that, but at least they know why!

No comments: